PULMONARY FUNCTION TESTING
Sonic Safety Services provides
Pulmonary Function Testing (Spirometry Testing) to help its
clients meet medical clearance for employee respirator use. While
our NIOSH certified technicians are able to use a variety of
on-site client equipment, we will provide our own spirometers if
needed. Please feel free to contact use with any questions you may
- All employees in the respirator program will be tested
annually as recommended by NIOSH for respirator medical
qualification or as the clients' MRO requires.
Type of Tests
- Each employee will be given a screening Blood Pressure check
- The spirometer will have its calibration verified at the
beginning of each session and at least every four hours during
the testing session using the ATS recommended procedure.
- Each employee will perform a Forced Vital Capacity (fvc)
pulmonary function test. All employees will be required to
perform a minimum of three maneuvers that do not exceed fvc
variable of 5% as required by NIOSH.
All tests are conducted by NIOSH Certified Occupational
- A prescreening medical questionnaire will filled out by the
NIOSH Certified Occupational Pulmonary Technologist
- A management report is furnished that lists employee name,
id number, and date of test. The report is accompanied by a
printout of the PFT, and a copy of the pre-screening medical
- When Sonic Safety is responsible for the medical review a
statement of respirator qualification, signed by the reviewing
physician, will be provided.